Grant City, Missouri
Navigational Bar
Navigational Bar Navigational Bar Navigational Bar Navigational Bar Navigational Bar Navigational Bar Navigational Bar Navigational Bar Navigational Bar
Navigational Bar Navigational Bar Navigational Bar Navigational Bar Navigational Bar
Navigational Bar
Navigational Bar Navigational Bar
Navigational Bar Navigational Bar
Navigational Bar

Explore Grant City, Missouri's history

Grant City was organized in 1863 and was named for General U. S. Grant. The first land entry was recorded by Mrs. Lydia Frakes in 1857 and opened the door for a thriving community to be built. Grant City became the county seat in 1864 with the land for the new site being donated by G. W. Frakes and Isaac Miller. The first building was a general store followed by a school, blacksmith, shoemaker, physician, lawyer, jeweler, postmaster, druggist, hardware store, and a hotel. The first newspaper was called the Enterprise and after changing hands and names many times in 1929 it became the Times Tribune.
It is still the Times Tribune and is published weekly.
The coming of the railroad in 1882 was a big boom for the town and it grew rapidly for several years. The railroad closed in 1945 but Grant City remained a busy town. The current courthouse began construction in 1897 and officials moved in during 1898. Bonds for the construction of the courthouse were paid off by 1907.

On-going improvements have been made to the building.

Some of our attractions include the courthouse with the hand painted mural
(listed on the Historic Register), the GAR Monument in the Grant City Cemetery, beautiful churches with stained glass windows, Glenn Miller artifacts and monument at the courthouse. (Glenn Miller started his music training while in school at Grant City. He worked in a shoe shine stand owned by J. D. Mosbarger, the band director. Mr. Mosbarger financed the purchase of a trombone and gave Glenn his first lesson. Glenn later paid in full for the trombone.)

Grant City is working with the county toward future growth and sustainability to our community. In 1999, the county hired an economic developer and plotted out a strategic plan for the area. Through these initiatives, new retail establishments have been created; there has been an increase in sales tax revenue through annexations; and a new 1-cent sales tax towards improved streets.

 
Furthermore, a new factory moved in with new jobs; high speed internet has become available; new outdoor learning center and recreation complex was created; new warning system installed; a new park; and construction for a new walking/bicycle trail will begin soon. A new Worth County Partnership Library was created and it is a first in the state of Missouri. This is a joint effort between the school and the library board.

We have an active Community Betterment Club which has received several awards including the "Grand Prize." Citizens are involved in several civic and church organizations. If you want to enjoy a secure, quiet, and beautiful place with friendly people, visit Grant City and Worth County. It is a great place to come home to.

Photos submitted by: Jane Gabriel, Berta Owens, & Holly Baxley

© 2010 - www.grantcity.us ~ All Rights Reserved.         Website created by Grant City Technology Pro